Chemical Dependency Treatment


To describe the services available to assist clients who are chemically dependent or abusing alcohol or drugs. This topic also describes the process for access to chemical dependency treatment for people who are on other public assistance programs and for those who are not eligible for any public assistance program.

Chemical Dependency Treatment - TOC

TABLE OF CONTENTS - Chemical Dependency Treatment

Access to Substance Use Treatment


To provide information to CSD staff when contacted by people who want substance use treatment services.

Clarifying Information

  1. Health Care Authority (HCA) provides funding and oversight for substance use treatment services for people enrolled in Apple Health (Medicaid). HCA provides behavioral health and recovery services including alcohol use treatment, medication assisted treatment, and opioid use treatment.
  2. Information about agencies contracted to provide substance use treatment services can be obtained by calling the Washington Recovery Help Line at 1-866-789-1511.

Chemical Dependency Treatment and SSI


This section describes the chemical dependency treatment services available to Social Security Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries.

Clarifying Information

  1. The Social Security Administration (SSA) suspends benefits when an SSI beneficiary is placed in a "public institution" for more than 30 days.  SSA terminates benefits when a beneficiary resides in an institution for more than 12 months.
  2. DBHR contracted residential treatment facilities are not considered “public institutions.”

Worker Responsibilities

When an SSI beneficiary is placed in a DBHR contracted residential chemical dependency treatment facility, see Chemical Dependency Treatment and Food Assistance to determine effect on eligibility.  The client's SSI income is considered in determining eligibility for Food Assistance.

Chemical Dependency Treatment via ALTSA and Food Assistance


This section explains the availability of food assistance for an individual eligible for ALTSA Treatment Services.

WAC 388-420-010 Alcohol and drug treatment centers.

Clarifying Information - WAC 388-420-010

  1. The facility chooses the designated employee to act as the authorized representative. 
  2. See WAC 388-460-0010  for an explanation of what the facility must give residents (related to food assistance) when they leave the facility.
  3. The CSO has a list of state-certified non-profit treatment centers. Residents in these facilities may be eligible for food assistance.

Worker Responsibilities - WAC 388-420-010

    ALTSA Treatment

  1. Maintain the case record in the originating office when placement is made outside of the catchment area.
  2. Consider the client's income as income.
  3. Consider the payment to the treatment facility as a vendor payment. Do not consider it as income to the client.
  4. Certify persons in outpatient treatment based on their living arrangements.


Clients placed in a chemical dependency treatment facility but not in an ALTSA contracted treatment bed may be eligible to receive food assistance. For example, a person receiving involuntary treatment or a pregnant woman receiving treatment.

ACES Procedures

See  Authorized Representative