Created on: 
Mar 13 2020

Online Processing

See ACES Screens and Online Pages for an example of pages or screens used in this chapter.

How do resources affect eligibility?

The department uses non-excluded resources to determine if the client is eligible for cash, medical and food assistance benefits. For more information see:

How is Real Property counted towards the resource limits for cash, medical and Basic Food programs?

For information on how Real Property affects resources, see:

ACES uses the following Real Property codes toward the resource limit (except for resource exempt programs) for the type of program indicated:



Basic Food


Spouse or Dependent Home - DE




Property with Intent to Build (See Note Below) - IB




Income Prod - IP




Life Estate Countable - LE


Other Property Non exempt - ON




Primary Residence Unoccupied - PU



Second Burial Plot - SP




NOTE: Per EAZ Manual - WAC 388-470-0045 How do my resources count toward the resource limits for cash assistance? Real property code IB should be excluded for cash and medical. Until ACES is changed to support this, workers may need to use real property code Inaccessible - (IN) instead of Property with intent to build - (IB).

How are vehicle codes used in the SSI-Related and Long Term Care (LTC) Medical calculations?

For information on how vehicles affect resources for SSI-Related and LTC Medical programs, see:

For SSI-Related Medical and LTC with or without a Community Spouse, ACES allows an exemption for one Primary Residence (PR) and one Transportation for Disabled Person (TD) and any vehicle with usage code Essential for Self-Support (ES).

  • If more than one vehicle is coded either (PR) or (TD), ACES exempts the vehicle with the highest equity value for each category.
EXAMPLE: An individual has two vehicles coded with use code of Primary Residence (PR). One vehicle has an equity value of $1200 and the other has an equity value of $800. Only one vehicle with a use code of Primary Residence (PR) can be excluded. ACES will exclude the vehicle with the highest equity value.
  • The entire value of all other non-exempt vehicles, regardless of use, count toward the household's resource limit.

Online Processing

Where do I enter resource information?

Resource information is entered on the following pages in ACES 3G:

  • Liquid Resource page - Use this page to enter information about the client's liquid resources.
  • Vehicle/Vessel page - This page is used to record information about the client's vehicles or boats.
  • Real Property page - Enter information about the client's real property.
  • Insurance Policy page - Use this page to enter information about the client's insurance policies.
  • Other Resources page - Enter information about any other resources not already listed on a previous page.
  • Transferred Resource page - Record information about the transfer of resources for both applicants and recipients on this page.

How do I enter irrevocable educational trust information for a child on TANF?

For information about a child’s irrevocable education trust fund, see EAZ Manual – WAC 388-470-0045 How do my resources count toward the resource limits for cash assistance?

  1. On the Other Resources page for the child who has the trust fund complete the following fields:
  • Type field - Select Education Child Trust - Irrevocable (ET) from the drop down box.
  • Fair Market Value field - Enter the [amount of the irrevocable resource or income contribution].
  • Encumbrance Amount field - Enter the [total interest accumulated on this amount].
  • Valid Value field - Enter the [appropriate verification code] from the drop down box.
  1. From the Navigation tree, select Review.
  2. If there are no errors on the Review summary, click Eligibility on the Navigation tree.
  3. On the Eligibility page, a Details link displays to the right of any Assistance Unit (AU) that is currently active.  Click the Details link.
  4. Review the Eligibility Details for each AU.  If all looks correct, click Confirm Benefits.
NOTE: ACES performs the following computation and displays the result in the Total Resource Amount field on the Eligibility Details page: Total Principal Contributions minus the total of the amount entered in the Encumbrance Amount field and an additional $4000 (irrevocable trust limit).
  1. Click Commit Changes on the Eligibility page.

What do I do when a client has transferred a resource?

Review the reason for the transfer to determine if the resource was transferred in order to qualify for assistance. For more information see:

When a client has transferred a resource, take the following steps:

  1. From the Case Actions page click the Start ChangesStart Interview or the Process ER link.
  2. From the Action Button bar click Add.
  3. Select Transferred Resource in the Resource section of the Add Type menu. 
  4. In the Client drop down menu select the client who transferred the resource and click Next.
  5. Enter the information regarding the transfer on the Transferred Resource page.
Note: For LTC clients who have a transfer of resource penalty, the payment authorization date should not be entered on the Facility and Home and Community Based Services pages for all months the AU is denied for the transfer of resource penalty.
  1. Review Details, and click Confirm Benefits.
  2. Click Commit Changes to finalize.

How does ACES use the information entered on the Transferred Resource page?

Information entered on the Transferred Resource page indicates whether or not the resource transferred by a client was done in order to qualify for assistance.

When Transfer to Qualify (E) is entered in the Reason for Transfer field, ACES uses the transfer data to calculate a period of ineligibility, when applicable.

What if a client is historically ineligible for Long Term Care (LTC) services due to unreported resources?

When a client is historically ineligible for LTC services because of an unreported transfer:

  • Transfer data must be entered in each benefit month that the client is ineligible for LTC services,
  • Or enter Reason Code 590 - Transfer of Resources - Long Term Care on the Assistance Unit Detail page for each month. 

LTC services cannot be authorized until the day following the end of a transfer penalty period.

Where do penalty periods display in ACES 3G for a Long Term Care (LTC) client?

When a client has a transfer penalty for LTC services, the penalty period start and end dates display in the Penalty section on the Sanctions page.

Where do penalty start dates display in for a Long Term Care (LTC) client?

When a client has a transfer penalty for LTC services, the penalty start date displays in on the Assistance Unit >> Household Members page.

What vehicle information should be entered on the Vehicle/Vessel page?

For information on what vehicles to include for cash and food assistance, see:

On the Vehicle/Vessel page list the vehicles for the household member who owns the resource.

List and code each vehicle according to its use. See the drop down list for type and use codes.

NOTE: ACES determines the equity value of a vehicle by subtracting the encumbrance amount from the vehicle’s Fair Market Value (FMV).

How are vehicle codes used in the Basic Food resource calculation?

For information on how vehicles affect Basic Food, see EAZ Manual – WAC 388-470-0075 How is my vehicle counted for the Washington Basic Food program?

Vehicles entered with one of the following codes on the Vehicle/Vessel page are exempt from the Fair Market (FMV) and equity values tests in the resource calculation:

  • Essential for Self Support (ES)
  • Subsistence Hunt/Fish/Fuel/Water (HF)
  • Annually Producing Consistent w/FMV (IF)
  • Income Producing >50% (IP)
  • Long Distance Travel (LD)
  • Primary Residence (PR)
  • Transportation for Disabled Person (TD)
  • Unlicensed Work Related (UW)

Vehicles entered with the following codes use the equity value in the resource calculation:

  • Handicapped Equipped (HA)
  • Medical Transportation (MA)
  • Other (OT)
  • Cash Self-Employment Plan (SE)
  • Sentimental Value (SV)
  • Unlicensed/Not Used/Not Useful (UV)

Vehicles entered with the following codes use the FMV minus the Vehicle Exclusion in the resource calculation:

  • Employment/Education/Training (ET)
  • Primary (FV)

How do I code a client who owns their home but only pays for utilities or assessments?

If the client owns their home and is only paying for utilities and/or assessments, update the following fields on the Real Property page to ensure ACES uses the shelter obligation standard instead of the supplied shelter standard:

  • Use field - Select Primary Residence (PR) from the drop down box.
  • Address field - Enter the address of the client's home where they are residing.

See ACES Screens and Online Pages for an example of pages or screens used in this chapter.