Withholding from Blake Refunds


Beginning in May 2024, the Division of Child Support will withhold from Blake refunds, when certain criteria are met.

What is a Blake refund?

In 2021, the Washington State Supreme Court found the law criminalizing drug possession unconstitutional. Because of this decision, anyone who has a Blake-related conviction (going back 50 years) may qualify to have the conviction removed from their criminal record and any legal financial obligations they paid refunded.

The Administrative Office of the Courts created the Blake Refund Bureau to process refund applications and disburse payments for all Washington counties.

Will the Division of Child Support withhold from my Blake refund?

DCS may garnish your refund if all the following are true:

  • You owe debt to a custodial parent on at least one child support case.
  • Your past-due support owed totals at least $100.
  • Your Blake refund is for a minimum of $50.

How much of my refund will be garnished?

If you meet the above criteria, DCS will withhold the amount of the past-due support owed on your case(s) or 50% of the refund, whichever is the lesser amount.

Are there any options to have the garnished payment refunded back to me?

If you are experiencing a hardship, call to discuss your options with your child support case manager, 1-800-442-KIDS (5437).

Additional Resources