School Requirements

Clarifying Information 

  1. Educational activities include standard or alternative public school programs, state-accredited private schools, home schooling (approved and monitored by the school district), high school equivalency programs, or any training program that contains an educational component that would lead to a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate.
  2. There is no requirement as to the number of hours a client must participate, but a minor must maintain satisfactory attendance as determined by the school or program in order to be considered "participating" for the purpose of this policy.)

Worker Responsibilities

  1. Verify school enrollment and attendance (or completions of high school or high school equivalency) at the time of the teen living assessment.
    1. If the minor has graduated high school or obtained a high school equivalency certificate, they are required to participate in regular WorkFirst activities, i.e. job search.
    2. If the minor is not enrolled and/or attending school, assist the minor in enrolling in school and explain support services available (i.e. transportation, childcare, etc). (See Support Services in the WorkFirst Handbook 2.2)
NOTE: If a pregnant or parenting minor refuses to enroll in or attend school, the minor is not eligible for TANF. However, the minor is still eligible for a child only grant for her child, which is assigned to a protective payee.
  1. Monitor monthly school attendance and progress. Request from the minor a monthly attendance record to verify school attendance and quarterly progress reports or grades.