Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) Referral

Revised July 16, 2019


The Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) Referral program provides access to essential needs items and potential housing assistance for low-income adults who are unable to work for at least 90 days due to a physical or mental incapacity and are ineligible for Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) cash assistance.  Eligibility for HEN housing assistance is determined by the Department of Commerce through a network of homeless and homeless prevention service providers.

WAC 388-400-0070 Who is eligible for referral to the housing and essential needs (HEN) program?

  • Clarifying Information

Clarifying Information - WAC 388-400-0070

  1. Persons who are participating in the Department of Corrections Family Offender Sentencing Alternative (FOSA) or Community Parenting Alternative (CPA) program may be eligible for the HEN Referral program.
  2. Persons who are currently ineligible for TANF due to the non-compliance sanction in WAC 388-310-1600 are not eligible for a referral to the housing and essential needs (HEN) program per WAC 388-400-0070.
  3. Former TANF recipients who are determined to be disabled may be eligible for a TANF Time Limit Extension.  See WorkFirst Handbook 3.7.1.
  4. If a person is eligible for a TANF time limit extension, they are not eligible for the HEN Referral program.
  5. Members of a married couple and legally emancipated persons under age 18 meet the minimum age requirement for the HEN Referral program under WAC 388-400-0070 (1)(d).
  6. HEN Referral clients should report changes in circumstances as required for cash assistance programs under WAC 388-400-0070 (1)(k).
Persons, who are not Federally Qualified for MAGI medical programs may qualify for health care through the Medical Care Services (MCS) program, when eligible for the ABD or HEN Referral programs.

Please refer to the Apple Health (Medicaid) Manual for MCS program summary information.