Resources Excluded by Federal Law

Revised March 25, 2011


Resources Excluded By Federal Law

  • Child Nutrition Act for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) including day care and school lunch programs (PL 89-642)
  • Reimbursement from the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Act of 1970 (PL 91-646)
  • Payments from the Domestic Volunteer Services Act of 1973 (PL 93-113)
  • Disaster or emergency payments under the Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (PL 93-288) from:
    • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA);
    • States or local governments: or
    • Disaster assistance organizations.
  • Disaster Assistance Payments to farmers under the Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (PL 93-288 as amended by 100-387)
  • Home energy assistance payments under the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Act (PL 99-425)
  • Housing and Urban Development (HUD) community development block grant funds
  • Title IV financial assistance other than room, board, and dependent care provided by the Higher Education Act (PL 99-498 as amended by 100-50)
  • Restitution payments under the Civil Liberties Act of 1988 to certain Asian Americans and Aleuts interned during World War II (PL 100-383)
  • Yearly disability payments to veterans or lump sum payments to survivors of a deceased veteran retroactive to 1/1/89 from the Agent Orange Settlement Fund (PL 101-201). These are different funds than those from the Agent Orange Act of 1991, which are not excluded (PL 102-4).
  • Payments received by an injured person, the surviving spouse, children, grandchildren, or grand parents under the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (PL 101-426)
  • Payments to Victims of Nazi Persecution (PL 103-286)
  • Payments to crime victims from a federal or federally funded state or local program including Washington State Crime Victims Compensation Program (PL 103-322, section 23022)

Native American Resources

  • All compensation including cash, stock, partnership interest, land, and interest in land under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (PL 92-203 & 100-241)
  • Funds held in trust, restricted lands and the first $2,000 of each per capita judgment award (PL 93-134 as amended by 97-458, 98-64 & 103-66)
  • Relocation assistance payments to members of the Navajo and Hopi Tribes (PL 93-531, section 22)
  • Payments to certain Indian tribal members, regarding submarginal land held in trust by the U.S. (PL 94-114). Call State Office for a list of affected tribes
  • Funds distributed per capita or held in trust under the Sac and Fox Indian Claims Agreement (PL 94-189)
  • Payments from the disposition of funds to the Grand River Band of Ottowa Indians (PL 94-540)
  • Payments to the Confederate Tribe of the Yakima Indian Nation and the Apache Tribe from the Indian Claims Commission (PL 95-433)
  • Payments under the Maine Indian Claims Settlement Act of 1980 (PL 96-420)
  • Payments and certain funds held in trust for Chippewa Indians (PL 97-403, 98-102, 99-146, 99-264, 99-346, & 99-377)
  • Payments under the Puyallup Tribe of Indians Settlement Act of 1989 (PL 101-41) as follows:
    • Annuity fund established by PL 101-41 made to a Puyallup Tribal member upon reaching age 21;
    • Payments made to a Puyallup tribe member from the trust fund established by PL 101-41
  • Payments to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation Grand Coulee Dam Settlement Act (PL 103-436) including:
    • Real or personal property purchased directly with such funds; and
    • Appreciation in value of the initial investment.
  • Payments to the Blackfeet, Gros Ventre, and Assiniboine tribes, Montana; and the Papag, Arizona (PL 97-408 & 98-124)
  • Per capita shares to heirs of $2,000 or less under the Old Age Assistance Claims Settlement Act (PL 98-500)
  • Financial assistance provided by the Bureau of Indian Affairs under the Higher Education Act (PL 99-498 as amended by 100-50)
  • Loans provided under the Tribal Development Student Assistance Revolving Loan Program of the Higher Education Act (PL 99-498 as amended by 102-325). These payments are counted for SSI-related medical.
  • Payments under the Seneca Nation Settlement Act (PL 101-503)